ConstitutionUpdated Monday January 9, 2017 by Spokane Valley Girls Softball Association.
SPOKANE VALLEY GIRLS SOFTBALL ASSOCIATION (SVGSA)
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Section 1 - Annual Membership Meeting
Section 2 - Executive Board Meeting
Section 3 - Presiding Official
Section 4 - Motions
Section 5 - Double Position
Section 6 - Emergency Meeting
Section 7 - Open Meetings
Section 8 - Minutes
Section 9 - Notice of Meetings
Section 10 - Quorum
Section 11 - Conduct of Meetings
Section 1 - List of Directors
Section 1 - Finance
Section 2 - Assets
Section 3 - Audit
Section 4 - Bank Accounts
Section 5 - Not for Profit Statement
Section 1 - Structure
Section 2 - Capacity and Purpose
Section 1 - Distribution of Funds
Section 1 - General
Section 1 - Coverage
Section 2 - Copy on File
Section 1 - Purpose
Section 2 - Eligibility of Applicants
Section 3 - Judging
Section 4 - Qualifying Institute of Higher Education
Section 5 - Dates and Deadlines
ARTICLE I - NAME AND OBJECTIVE
SECTION 1: NAME — The name of this association shall be SPOKANE VALLEY GIRLS SOFTBALL ASSOCIATION, hereafter referred to as SVGSA.
SECTION 2: OBJECTIVE — The objective and purpose shall be to foster, develop, promote and regulate amateur softball for girls within Spokane County. It will also be an SVGSA objective to engage in any activity or enterprise that will be beneficial to its members, to coordinate the registration of players and to promote health, team loyalty, individual sportsmanship, and most importantly team sportsmanship.
SECTION 3: It shall also be an objective of this association to educate and teach said girls the skill of the game of amateur softball within the meaning of Section 501(C) of the Internal Revenue Code.
SECTION 4: Notwithstanding any other provisions of these articles, this Association shall not carry on any other activities not permitted to be carried on by an association exempt from Federal Income Tax under Section 501 (C) of the Internal Revenue Code.
ARTICLE II — MEMBERSHIP
SECTION 1: FEES — Membership shall be granted to any girl upon payment of the annual registration fee, as long as she is between the ages of five (5) and eighteen (18). All players must pay the registration fee to become a member of the SVGSA. Such membership is required before a girl is eligible to participate in practice, league, or tournament play. It is not the intent of the registration fee to limit membership. This fee can be waived on a case by case basis by the Executive Board. Any player registering after the open registration date may be subject to a late charge.
SECTION 2: ELIGIBILITY — There shall be no restriction on membership as to color, creed or ethnic origin, and the provisions in the constitution shall apply to all.
SECTION 3: VOTING MEMBERSHIP — The voting membership of the SVGSA will include the Executive Board, Executive Committee, coaches, sponsors, parents or guardians of eligible players. The voting membership shall be eligible to vote on the following:
1. Executive Board Officers
2. Constitution Amendments
3. Financial Reports
4. Minutes of the Annual Meeting
5. Other matters relevant to the league
ARTICLE III — EXECUTIVE BOARD
SECTION 1: GOVERNMENT - The governing body of the Association shall be the Executive Board, comprised of elected officers and special directors. The Executive Board will be required to abide by the Constitution and By-laws and will be structured as follows:
2. Executive V.P. Competitive Division
3. Executive V.P, Instructional Division
Special Directors (League Founders)
1. Sally Jackson
2. Babe Wehr
3. Noreen Sale
SECTION 2: NOMINATION, ELECTIONS AND VOTING —
1. Nominating will be made from the floor at the annual meeting.
2. The election shall be written ballot. No proxy vote will be allowed.
3. A simple majority vote shall be required at all meetings of the general membership and committees.
4. All Executive Board members and members of standing committees shall serve in office for a period of two years, and shall be eligible for re-election.
5. The Executive Board Officers shall assume their duties within two weeks of the election.
SECTION 3: EXECUTIVE BOARD AND EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE VOTING –
All elected officers, Special Directors, and Committee Chairpersons, except the President, shall be voting members of the Executive Board. The President shall vote only in the case of a tie vote.
ARTICLE IV -- ELECTED OFFICERS
SECTION 1: PRESIDENT —
1. The president shall preside at all meetings of the General Membership, the Executive Board, and the Executive Committee.
2. He/She shall also be an ex-officio member of all committees, except the Nominating Committee.
3. He/She shall maintain order at all meetings.
4. He/She shall coordinate and administer the rules, policies, and principles of the Spokane Valley Girls Softball Association; oversee the rostering committee; and confirm that the by-laws are followed.
5. He/She shall appoint members of the various committees, except the nominating committee. The committee selections shall be subject to confirmation by the Executive Board.
6. He/She shall appoint a Director of Fields, to be confirmed by a majority vote of the Executive Board, oversee that position, and report to the board as to a budget, and expenses for the year.
7. He/She shall appoint a Tournament Director, to be confirmed by a majority vote by the Executive Board, oversee that position, and report to the board as to a budget, schedule, and layout for the year.
8. He/She shall appoint a Director of Umpires, to be confirmed by a majority vote by the Executive Board, oversee that position, and report to the board as to a budget and expenses for the year.
9. He/She shall appoint a Director of Equipment & Practice Field Distribution, to be confirmed by a majority vote by the Executive Board, oversee that position, and report to the board as to a budget and expenses for the year.
10. He/She shall appoint a Director of Public Relations to be confirmed by a majority vote of the Executive Board and oversee that position.
11. He/She shall appoint a Director of Technology for our web site to be confirmed by a majority vote of the Executive Board and oversee that position.
12. He/She shall appoint a Director of Concessions to be confirmed by a majority vote of the Executive Board, oversee that position, and report to the board as to a budget and expenses for the year.
SECTION 2: EXECUTIVE VICE-PRESIDENT —Competitive Division
1. He/She shall assist the President and in the absence of the President, shall perform the duties of the President.
2. He/She shall take the responsibility for parliamentary procedure and shall attend all meetings and give recommendations and counsel to the Nominating Committees.
3. He/She shall be responsible for acquiring coaches for the Competitive Division.
4. He/She shall also be responsible for training coaches as to the policies and principles of SVGSA.
5. He/She shall organize and oversee the Coaches and Player clinics for the Competitive Division.
6. He/She shall sit on the Rostering Committee.
SECTION 3: EXECUTIVE VICE-PRESIDENT — Instructional Division
1. He/She shall be responsible for acquiring coaches for the Instructional Division.
2. He/She shall also be responsible for training coaches as to the policies and principles of SVGSA.
3. He/She shall organize and oversee the Coaches and Player clinics for the Instructional Division.
4. He/She shall sit on the Rostering Committee.
SECTION 4: SECRETARY --
1. He/She shall keep an accurate record of the proceedings and activities of all meetings of the general membership, Executive Board, and Executive Committee, and shall maintain minutes of all meetings.
2. He/She shall conduct all necessary correspondence of the SVGSA.
3. He/She shall notify all officers and members of their appointments to committees.
4. He/She shall have the sole responsibility of collection and distribution of all SVGSA email and phone messages.
5. He/She shall determine voting membership prior to vote.
SECTION 5: TREASURER —
1. The Treasurer shall receive all moneys for the league and deposit same in the name of SVGSA in a bank approved by league officers in a timely manner.
2. He/She shall keep an itemized account of receipts and disbursements and maintain books and records in an orderly fashion.
3. He/She shall submit a financial statement in October or upon request by the Executive Board.
4. He/She shall give a written report at regular meetings.
5. He/She shall submit the financial report to Executive Board members by October 1st.
6. He/She shall secure insurance coverage for rostered players, coaches, and league officials by May 1 in accordance with Article XIII of this constitution.
SECTION 6: SPECIAL DIRECTORS – The League Founders shall maintain lifetime membership and sit on the Executive Board. They are:
1. Sally Jackson
2. Babe Wehr
3. Noreen Sale
ARTICLE V — OFFICER REMOVAL
SECTION 1: REMOVAL OF A MEMBER OF THE EXECUTIVE BOARD - A member of the Executive Board may be removed from office for conduct or action which is incompatible with the aims of the SVGSA or for absence from three (3) consecutive meetings or for refusal to perform his/hers appointed duties.
A. All Executive Board members must receive ten (10) days written notice prior to any vote on such matter.
B. A 2/3 affirmative vote of all voting members present is required for such removal.
ARTICLE VI — VACANCIES
SECTION 1: The President shall fill any vacancy of an elected office for the balance of the term by appointment within thirty (30) days. Such appointment shall be subject to the Executive Board approval. If the vacancy is that of President, the Vice- President shall be chosen by the Executive Board to fill that office.
ARTICLE VII — MEETINGS
SECTION 1: ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS — The Annual Membership Meeting shall be held no later than October 30th, for organization and election of officers.
SECTION 2: EXECUTIVE BOARD MEETINGS — The Executive Board shall meet as required. Rostering meetings
shall he held by May 15th. Special meetings may be called by the President of the Executive Board providing all
members are notified.
SECTION 3: PRESIDING OFFICIAL — The President shall be the presiding officer at all meetings of the Executive Board and of the membership meetings. In the absence of the President, the Executive Vice-President shall preside.
SECTION 4: MOTIONS — All decisions of the Executive Board will be by a motion, a second, and a simple majority vote of the members voting, unless otherwise specified.
SECTION 5: DOUBLE POSITION — Any person filling two (2) voting positions on the Executive Board shall be considered to have only one (1) vote.
SECTION 6: EMERGENCY MEETING — The President may call an emergency meeting for extenuating circumstances at any time.
SECTION 7: OPEN MEETINGS — All Executive Board meetings will be open to the general membership.
SECTION 8: MINUTES — Minutes shall be taken at each official meeting and shall be retained by the Executive Board Secretary during the term of office, and a copy of the minutes shall be delivered (Within 3 Days of the meeting) to each of the following:
1. All members of the Executive Board and the Executive Committee.
2. Any interested member requesting a copy of such minutes.
SECTION 9: NOTICE OF MEETINGS — Notice of all Executive Board meetings except as herein otherwise provided and shall be given either by mail, email, telephone, or personal service of notice, oral or written, at such time or times as the person or persons calling the meeting may deem reasonable, but in no event upon less than one (1) day notice.
SECTION 10: QUORUM — A quorum shall be 50% of the Executive Board. If a quorum is not present at a meeting, such meeting shall not be called to order to conduct business of the SVGSA.
SECTION 11: CONDUCT OF MEETINGS — Roberts Rule of Order shall be observed and shall govern the proceedings of the meetings.
ARTICLE VIII — SPECIAL DIRECTORS
SECTION 1: The following Directors are to be appointed no later than November 1st, by the Executive Board Member responsible for that position, and confirmed with the approval of the Executive Board:
1. Director of Awards
2. Director of Concessions. He/She shall coordinate the Snack Shack including inventory purchase and scheduling workers.
3. Director of Equipment
4. Director of Fields
5. Director of Practice Fields
6. Director of Public Relations
7. Director of Technology
8. Director of Tournament
9. Director of Umpires
10. Director of Uniforms
ARTICLE IX — FINANCIAL POLICY
SECTION 1: FINANCE — The Executive Board shall decide all matters relating to finance. It shall be the general policy to deposit all moneys (cash or check) in the Association treasury (SVGSA Bank Account within three (3) working days after receiving said moneys). Moneys shall be expended in a manner that will give all individuals and teams equal benefits and privileges. The Executive Board shall strictly observe and regulate all fund raising activities.
SECTION 2: ASSETS — The Executive Board shall be responsible for all the assets of the SVGSA. Any real property purchased by the Association for use by the members will remain the property of the Association. Failure to return such property will be subject to review and possible disciplinary action by the Executive Board.
SECTION 3: AUDIT — A Compliance audit of the financial records of the Association, maintained by the Treasurer, shall take place no later than September 30th or at the discretion of the Executive Board.
SECTION 4: BANKING ACCOUNTS — The Treasurer shall establish and maintain banking accounts for the Association, including checking and savings accounts.
1. Checking Account.
2. All bills and disbursements shall be paid by check or credit card. All checks must be signed by any two (2) of the Executive Board Members who are authorized signers on the account.
3. Savings Account — A savings account shall be established to hold funds not needed for a period of time for the maintenance of the league in order to draw interest on the funds available.
4. Transferring Moneys — The Treasurer shall acquire verbal approval of the President and one other Executive Board member before transferring moneys from one account to another (checking to savings or vice-versa).
SECTION 5: This Association is not organized for profit and no part of the net earnings shall inure to the benefit of any member.
ARTICLE X — DISCIPLINARY HEARING BOARD
SECTION 1: STRUCTURE — The Disciplinary Hearing Board shall be composed of at least five (5) members of which one will be the President of the SVGSA. The remaining positions will be appointed by the President.
SECTION 2: CAPACITY AND PURPOSE — All items dealing with misconduct of players, coaches, sponsors, or other team representatives shall be heard by the Disciplinary Hearing Board. The decision of the Disciplinary Hearing Board shall be final.
ARTICLE XI — DISSOLUTION
SECTION 1: In the event of the dissolution of this Association, after adequately providing for the debts of the Association, the remaining assets shall be distributed by the Special Director of the SVGSA to the Girls Athletic programs of existing Valley School districts or other non-profit foundations of associations which have established their tax exempt status under Section 501 (C) of the Internal Revenue Code.
ARTICLE XII — AMENDMENTS
SECTION 1: GENERAL -- Any article, section or part thereof, of this constitution, may be amended by petition of the membership or by petition submitted by the Executive Board members, provided:
1. Petition must be submitted in writing to the President and Special Directors, before September 1st, for voting on by the General Membership at the September meeting.
2. Any petition must include precise statement of what the amendment is, and what Article, Section, or Sub-Section is to be changed.
3. Any constitutional change requires 2/3 majority yes vote of the voting membership present at the Annual Fall Meeting.
ARTICLE XIII — INSURANCE
SECTION 1: Insurance coverage for rostered players, coaches, and league officials shall be secured by the Treasurer no later than May 1st.
SECTION 2: A copy of the insurance policy shall be on file with the Secretary of the SVGSA.
ARTICLE XIV – COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS
SECTION 1: PURPOSE – The purpose of this scholarship is to reward applicants for their interest in higher education,
their involvement in SVGSA, and their involvement in their community. Up to three (3) separate scholarships in the
amount of $1000.00 each may be awarded each year to qualified and selected high school seniors. The number of
scholarships awarded will be based on the number of applicants and the quality of the applicants.
SECTION 2: ELIGIBILITY OF APPLICANTS –
1. Candidates must have played at least two (2) years for SVGSA.
2. Candidates must complete all requirements of the written application. Any incomplete or illegible applications
will be disqualified.
SECTION 3: JUDGING
1. A third party panel of judges with no affiliation to SVGSA will review and score each application.
2. Judging will be based on a points system.
3. Up to three (3) applicants earning the most points after judging is completed will each be awarded a $1000.00
4. Applicants must earn at least 75% of the available points.
SECTION 4: QUALIFYING INSTITUTE OF HIGHER EDUCATION
1. All 2-year, 4-year, or technical/vocational schools are acceptable institutes of higher education.
2. Selected applicants must provide proof of enrollment at a qualifying institute of higher education. Failure to do
so will result in forfeiture of scholarship.
3. Scholarship money will be paid directly to the institution of higher education.
4. Scholarship must be used within 12 months after its reception. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of
SECTION 5: DATES AND DEADLINES – The application period will be from January 15 to April 30 of each year.